Thursday, August 17, 2006

Baz Truman is Back!

Editor’s Note:

For years, workers have suffered through the advice of pundits, over-achievers and corporate lackeys, some of whom have had only three or four jobs in their entire lives.

Wouldn’t it be better to get career advice from someone with experience at literally thousands of jobs?

Baz Truman thinks so. Since the early 1980s, Baz Truman has been working at and getting fired from more jobs in a week than most people get fired from in a lifetime. Baz’ single-minded determination to excel at his career - no matter the cost – has gotten him fired from some of the world’s biggest and brightest companies.

Look here for Baz Truman’s weekly career advice on matters ranging from sexual discrimination to Christmas parties. We hope you enjoy it.


The Most Fired Man in America
By Baz Truman


Dear Baz:

I’m the female telemarketer and I’ve become obsessed with one of co-workers. I think about him all the time and it’s begun to affect both my work and my happy marriage. Nothing has happened so far but that can’t last for long. What should I do?


Obsessed and Unhappy in Phoenix


Dear Obsessed and Unhappy in Phoenix:

You’re on the verge committing a colossal mistake that could potentially ruin your marriage and destroy your career, all for a few moments of pleasure with someone you probably have little in common with. You need to ask yourself a few important questions like, “Is it worth it?” and, more importantly, “How can I get away with this?”

Your next step is to signal your feelings to your co-worker. I would shy away from e-mail. From my experience, people tend to over-react when they get a few thousand e-mails. Try to be creative. Nothing, for instance, says “I like you” like mysterious panties sent via interoffice mail. I’ve also learned the hard way that mysterious new panties work better than mysterious old panties.

And finally, be strong. Once you’ve been fired and thrown out of your house, it’s easy to get pessimistic. Look on the bright side – you may be an adulterer but at least you’re not a telemarketer any more.


No need to thank me,

Baz

No comments: